Monday, October 06, 2008

CLOSE CALL ON PEARL STREET


Saturday morning is usually a time to slow down for most of us, however, not all of us get to rest on the weekends.

Our firefighters were on the ready that morning when the call came in about a fire on Pearle St. Arriving on only minutes, the crew had their ladders against the house and bodies on the roof.

What they found was the chimney of 8 Pearle St. had caught fire. The flames billowed around the bluestone cap with little resistance. Most of the older chimneys throughout the city have no interior liner to prevent the flames from pushing through the cracks in the brick.

The fast call by the residents and the quick arrival may have saved this building from an unpleasant fiery end, but surely the families inside and the ownerwere thankful of the immediate response.

So, just as I had stumbled upon this terrific act of our Fire Department, let it serve as a warning. Get your Furnace serviced and chimney cleaned before this winter kicks in.
Chances are you too have an older and less secure chimney than you might think.

1 comment:

Jeremiah said...

I think this is going to be a big problem this winter as people try to find alternative ways to heat their homes.
They may decide to try out that fireplace or wood stove that hasn't been used in 10 or 20 years. These are appliances that you can't just turn on after years of no use.
Be careful!!