Thursday, April 16, 2009

TEA PARTIES ACROSS AMERICA

So, I read in the paper that a crowd of protesters showed up at the Burlington Plaza in Ulster, NY this Wednesday. I didn't hear of it's planning otherwise I would have gone out to get some pictures for myself.

The media have been all over this FOX sponsored activism and have been keeping track of how much the one news channel, owned by Rupert Murdock, has been pushing people to join the Tea Parties across the country.

One thing the that is lost in the frenzy to protest Obama's stimulus package and proposed tax structure for 2010 is the fact that the percentage of income tax and the increase in spending, resembles the Reagan percentages during the 80's. Those increases followed a severe downturn in the economy during the Carter presidency. Reagan raised that limit for the wealthiest Americans to 39% and only for the income that exceeded the 200K limitations, just like Obama's proposal. What you think of the stim, is up to you.

There was a large group of enthusiastic promoters associated with the Tea Bagging Parties until the Media picked up on the double meaning of Tea Bagging and then we saw Hannity, OReilly, even Gingrich stepping away from the authorship.
(picture on left from Freeman)

I say fine with people protesting big government; the kind that spends tax dollars without thinking. We just experienced several years of government growth with little or no complaint from these same protesters. Where were they then?

Want to see where a fiscally prudent municipality does more with less, look no further than our Common Council. Sure the taxes are higher than they should be, but we toil over these numbers daily with little help from the state and it's diminished ability to help. We've still got alot of work to do. But the protesters have got to define their message better. Letting the talking heads on FOX NEWS define your cause does no-one any good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I have been following the Tea Bagging story on the news for a week and the jokes are limitless!
How could these organizers not know what they were setting up?
I like that you pointed out the similarities with the Reagan tax structure that the Republicans look to for inspiration. Their only reason to protest is the fact that Obama is following in the "great ones" steps to fix this country and it may work!

Anonymous said...

I find it extremely distasteful that you would promote the use of the phrase "tea bagging" that the liberal media has been using.

It is a double entendre and should not be used.

doc said...

As one of those who was there for the rally, I have to disagree. Neither I, or any other person involved that I know of, is following the plan of Fox news or anyone else.

As far as why we are protesting, I won't pretend to speak for anyone except myself. My reason is quite simple...I see the gov't spending more and more....the gov't, not dems or repubs, but the gov't. And this is critical...it is not a political argument, it is aimed at all wasteful spending and ridiculous tax loads put on the public. It is about a gov't that has spent more than ALL administrations since the founding of our country, combined. It is about a financial policy that allows the gov't to set salaries in private companies, and hire and fire CEO's.
THAT is why I was out on the protest

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the write up and video - I was a little "lost" on this one and I wasn't coming up (via You Tube) with anything this clear...

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm glad it's over. Tax day is tough enough without the rhetoric we hear about tax this tax that. Truth is, there is waste in government spending. But it's the best system in the world and I wouldn't want what I see in other countries here.
Just the fact that we have the right to publicly protest is enough to reassure my faith that we live in a great country, will get through this economic slump and perhaps some lessons will be learned along the way.

Anonymous said...

Many of these same protesters were in fact there to protest the spending by Bush as well as the government's attacks on our personal freedoms. However they were embraced by the main stream media so the coverage did not stick out as much. Now that these same protesters are out against the same spending but President Golden Boy is in now office, now the main stream media instead choses to attack them. Who cares about Fox news they are just as corrupt and no different than the MSNBC "All Obama All the Time" News Network. At least Fox reported. When was the last time you saw 250k to 300k take to the streets across America to protest something and there is next to no coverage. 1000 people burning down a city to celebrate a college basketball championship get more press.

PS: This idea orignated on CNBC not Fox, on the floor of the Chicago Stock Exchange.

Anonymous said...

Mike,,

over 175 of us came out to a CITIZEN SPONSORED protest in Gardiner, NY.

It was well attended because WE, THE PEOPLE, are disgusted with Government's disrespect & disregard of our wishes & needs.

Most elected officials are bought & paid for by special interests & only take care of their own. See the appointments of the current County Exec !!!!

We need relief & support & we were telling all of ya'll ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!!

screw yer Fox T-V paranoia,,

We are MAD AS HELL & WE AIN'T GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE !!

BE ADVISED !! The Clock Is Ticking !!!

Get on Board or be left behind !!!

signed : a pissed off taxpayer & political person

Anonymous said...

He said Tea Bag. ha ha ha ha ha

Tom The Liberal said...

Mike,

Thank You for reporting on this.

Let me say I make well over 150K a year. I live a good life. But I had help. When I was growing up and going to college I was funded by the TAP and Pell programs. I did work in my college days. But
I needed help.

Now, I pay taxes and you know what.
I do not mind. As long as the legislature and our own council spend the money in a wise way.

So yes, The Federal Gov and the
State took a chance on me... And
now I have a good job and I hope my tax money goes to help another
student who is out there.

In my view this 'protest' was a way
for conservatives to skip work and drink beer.

Dow and Nasdeq up again today. Obama must be doing something right.