Tuesday, January 25, 2011


I stumbled upon the GIZMODO website where I saw this post: 
Taco Bell doesn't use beef in their "beef"-based pseudo-Mexican delicacies. They use a gross thing called "Taco Meat Filling" as shown on their big container's labels—which customers can't see. The list of ingredients is gruesome:
Water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.
Oh, and 36% beef. Thirty-six percent—plus all the above making up for the other 64% of the party in your mouth.

The comments that followed were aimed not at Taco Bell, but at the author for making a big deal about the 36% beef factor and that no-one wants to know what's in this product or hot dogs or any other fast food delicacies that we consume without thinking.

They go on to describe how any decent drunk in need of a taco at 1am isn't going to care what's in it. 
I thought that was funny enough to bring this treat to you today since I usually have heavy political opinions here. If you want to continue eating this stuff, feel free. But make a point to avoid watching "How its Made" when they get to the production of Hot Dogs. Whoa.


Anonymous said...

I did see the "How Its Made" Hot Dog edition. I stopped eating hot dogs long ago. I had my suspicions confirmed with that show and happy I stopped ingesting what was in them. Probably added 10 years to my life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mike. I don't eat a whole lot, but I used to enjoy eating a taco from Taco Bell once in a while. Could you give me a ruling on the chicken tacos to so I might enjoy one of those once in a while. First the calories at McDonalds... .now this. Can't I just enjoy my fast food in peace?

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, Taco Bell nom nom nom. Gotta get me some of that beef-erm-sawdust-erm-ratburger-erm-what-ever-that-stuff-is...tastes just like beef, oh wait no, recipe could have E17, E93, E22, E3, E29, E99, E1074 -> E19973, Sodium chloride, formaldehyde, coco essence 59, bla bla bla. How I love me some E's, and in food (is it food??) that isn't the lovey dovey type either. I wonder what tree they grew it on, oh wait yes, there's specs of red in that colorant...must be crushed rainforest beetles (red dye for food colorants come from a crushed beetle...the beetle juices are used as a colorant--carmine--and when consumed boosts children's hyperactivity symptoms, etc...this substance is also known as E120--a real E number this time).